Thursday, April 24, 2014

Freezer Meals, part 1

If you follow my boards on Pinterest, you would know I've been pinning a lot of inspiration for freezer meals. I've decided to start trying that out. I thought about easing myself into it and only putting the meals together as I make one and save a second portion, but I think I will do two dinner recipes and two breakfast recipes in one day. I may even ask Ryan to make his awesome pizza dough to freeze. We have been kindof burned out and bored with what we have been eating lately - even though I've noticed my tastes have been expanding. Also, the warmer months are around the corner. Crock pot meals are awesome for summer because we won't be slaving over a hot stove. This will give us more free time too - instead of the whole cooking process, we will be waiting on the food to cook and actually doing stuff in that time.

Speaking of meals, we have been making it a point to sit together for the majority of our meals. During the week, we are a bit more relaxed for breakfast. This is helping to teach Ivy to slow down, focus on togetherness and to learn appropriate manners, especially if we are eating out.

We have to use what's in the freezer so space can be freed up for these freezer meals. If I get some fresh yogurt, I can make some berry/fruit yogurt freezes to make morning smoothies. I know I have to get some supplies too and our grocery bill may be more expensive at the forefront of this all. Cross your fingers. I want this to work!

Here are some recipes I will be making. No casseroles yet or any quick makes but those are being planned. They're all from Pinterest but I will try to link them up when I have an actual computer in front of me. 

Breakfast burritos (http://www.momontimeout.com/2011/08/breakfast-burrito-bonanza/)

Crockpot cilantro lime chicken

2 chicken breasts
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed
2 cups corn
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
Juice from 2 limes

Place all ingredients in freezer bag. Freeze flat.

For cooking:Thaw overnight in fridge.
Cook in crockpot on low 8 hours (high 4 hours)
Shred chicken and stir mixture together.
Serve with tortillas, shredded cheese & sour cream

Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki

1 cup pineapple juice
½ cup packed brown sugar
⅓ cup soy sauce
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cubed

Place all ingredients in crockpot and stir. Cook on low 4-6 hours. Serve over rice.
Leave chicken whole to cook longer (6-8 hours)

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Scones

Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups All purpose organic flour
2 Tablespoons sugar or sucanat
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter, preferably organic
1 large egg yolk
½ cup buttermilk, organic (or homemade* see bottom)
½ cup strawberries, organic
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup almonds chopped (optional)
Directions:
1)   Preheat oven to 425 and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper
2)   In a large bowl sift together all of the dry ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender, until it resembles a coarse meal.
3)  In a smaller bowl whisk together egg yolk and buttermilk. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until dough starts to pull together.
4)   Fold in chocolate chips and strawberries and roll out onto a floured surface.
5)   Pat dough into a large square and cut into squares again, then triangles
6)   Place on cookie sheet and place in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes
7)   Once cooled place in sandwich bags, or all in gallon bag.
8)   To serve: Reheat in microwave or toaster oven.
Freezing Directions:
Once cooled place in sandwich bags, or all in one gallon bag, remove air, and freeze. To serve: Reheat in microwave or toaster oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!